Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Installing Virtual Box Guest Addition (Problem/Solution)

I have a VirtualBox-OSE installed on my Ubuntu from which I am running WindowsXP. The 'OSE' type of VBox that was installed on my machine is not much rich i.e. no pointer sharing between operating systems, no full screen display for Virtual Box's OS etc. I need to overcome these problems to make my working more easy.

After reading comments on different forums, I conclude that I need a 'Guest Addition' of VBox. So I have started to install the Guest Addition for my VirtualBox-OSE. I follow the same steps as mentioned on forums to install the guest version but always gets the following error messages:

Could not find the VirtualBox Guest Additions CD image file /usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso or /usr/lib/virtualbox/additions/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso. (i.e. it cannot able to find 'VBoxGuestAdditions.iso' file) Do you want to download this CD image from the Internet? And then it returns 404 :s

Now on one of the forum I found different information related to VirtualBox Editions: "There are two different Editions of VBox: PUEL and OSE. PUEL has a lot richer functionality but is available from proprietory Sun repositories. The GA are bundled this as an ISO. In the OSE version the GA are typically available as a separate virtualbox-ose-modules package."

The next thing that I have done is to uninstall the VirtualBox-OSE right away. I have downloaded the PUEL Edition of VBox and installed it. Now I have got the PUEL Edition, I can install the 'Guest Addition' on this VBox. The missing file 'VBoxGuestAdditions.iso' is now available in the folder. I doesn't have any issued in installing the guest addition after that. And finally have some rich features in my VBox.



Small Screen



Full Display


rizzz86

No comments: